All You Need to Know About Phlebotomist
Career choice plays a very important role in anybody’s life. Phlebotomy can be considered as an entry point to healthcare. But if you want to become a phlebotomist, you should know in detail about it as the job duties, etc. In this post, you are going to learn about the important points related to the phlebotomist. Take a look below to know about them!
Table of Contents
What is Phlebotomy?
Phlebotomy is nothing but making a puncture in the vein, mostly in the arms using a cannula to draw blood. When it comes to Phlebotomists they will draw and prepare blood for donation or testing. When you approach a phlebotomist, below are a few things that they do on the day of the test.
- Preparing the patients to draw blood.
- Verifying the identity of patients and labels the collection vials properly.
- They will explain the transfusion or blood draw process in detail to the patients.
- They will calm down their nervous patients. They will ensure that they are comfortable.
- They will assist the patients with adverse reactions to post-drawing blood.
- They will follow the instructions of their supervising physicians.
- Label the blood samples.
- A phlebotomist has to pay attention to details like sample labeling, sample amount, and sample tracking.
- They should also maintain their organization in proper condition. In simple words, they should help in creating an organized workplace.
- Their communication skills should be very good. In short, they should ensure that every patient leaves with a good experience.
How to become a phlebotomist?
There is a great demand for Phlebotomists these days. To become a phlebotomist, every state has its requirements. An individual should have a high school diploma or equivalent to that to become a phlebotomist. Besides, to become a phlebotomist, you have to wait for around 4 months to one year. In general, 2/3rd of the Phlebotomist training is done in the classroom. And, 1/3rd will be practical training i.e., through externships and internships. In general, your phlebotomy training includes physiology, anatomy, and medical terminology.
One of the best sites online where you can find some important information related to Phlebotomists. Check such sites to know about all the important information. One of the best sites online where you can find information related to Phlebotomy is Phlebotomy Certify. You can also find the free Phlebotomy certification practice tests. Make use of that site to make a phlebotomy career.
How much does it cost to make a career in Phlebotomy?
Costs generally vary from one school to the other. It also varies from state to state. When it comes to the online accredited training programs, it may take around $ 300 to $800. When it comes to classroom training it may take around $700 to $1400. Apart from this, you should separately buy the training material and textbooks. Hence, it is important to keep aside some amount for buying the books and other study material when planning your budget.
Once you are done with the course, it is important to upload your resume online! Attend as many interviews as possible to get placed in a good organization!